May 31, 2009

An adventure for a poem

I came across this poem a while back, but it should remind us to always have adventures. It is by Mark Van Doren, a devout Catholic and legendary professor of English at Columbia back in the day. He taught Dr. John Senior, and (I believe) Paul Spring's father. I respect this man as a poet, teacher, and critic. This poem falls under "Adventure" poems; Van Doren has the muse in him, and it permeates his poetry

A Dream of Trains
Mark Van Doren

As long ago they raced,
Last night they raced again;
I heard them inside me,
I felt the roll of the land.
I looked out of a window
And I was moving too;
The moon above Nebraska,
Lonely and cold.

Mourned for all of the autumns
I had forgotten this:
The low hills that tilted,
The barrenness, the vast.
I think I will remember now
Until the end of the world
How lordly were the straightaways,
How lyrical the curves.

2 comments:

Hughes said...

Peter, this poem is righteous. What adventure are you having today? I dropped off Josh Mahan at the airport. It became an adventure I suppose when we realized that his airline wasn't posted on one of the signs. Now, my apartment is an adventure. But, mainly I request that you have an adventured planned for Laura and I when we get to DC (if it involves whiskey, I won't complain)

Just sayin,

Hughes

Lord Bloch said...

Today my adventure involves a nice authentic Irish pub in Old Towne, which of course means Guiness could be an option; Mr. John Hogan will be joining me on this adventure tonight. Also I had an adventure today in DC, meeting up with a possible roomate for Phoenix! I really like this guy, Ned Turner recommended him to me. I know of many small, and a few large, whiskey-adventures for when you and Laura get here.

Know what I'm sayin?

Fishman